10 Inspiring Philanthropy Quotes
10 Inspiring Philanthropy QuotesOct 14
Every once in a while it’s nice to be reminded that philanthropy has been championed as a responsible, honorable practice for centuries. The National Philanthropic Trust has documented a history of philanthropy in the United States and abroad, highlighting the generosity of many over time. Here are ten quotes from prominent philanthropists, courtesy of NPT.
- “I have found that among its other benefits, giving liberates the soul of the giver.” –Maya Angelou
- “Life’s persistent and most urgent question is ‘What are you doing for others?’” – Martin Luther King Jr.
- “As I give, I get.” – Mary McLeod Bethune
- “The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have too much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.” – FDR
- “Philanthropy is almost the only virtue which is sufficiently appreciated by mankind.” – Henry David Thoreau
- “When we plant a tree, we don’t plant it for ourselves but for our children.” – The Reverend Mae “Mother” Wyatt
- “The test of a civilization is in the way that it cares for its helpless members.” – Pearl S. Buck
- “Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present.” – Albert Camus
- “It is every man’s obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes our of it.” – Albert Einstein
- “How wonderful that no one need wait a single moment to improve the world.” –Anne Frank
These quotations come from a diverse group of individuals who have generously donated their time, wealth, and activism to many worthy causes throughout their lifetimes. To read even more uplifting quotes about philanthropy visit the National Philanthropic Trust’s philanthropy quotes page.